The Galaxy S5 is the current flagship device from the Korean manufacturer Samsung. The smartphone was officially announced at the Samsung Unpacked event in Barcelona on February 24 and began shipped for April 1. The S5 is being seen as the most powerful contender for the best smartphone of 2014, but to win the crown it’ll have to wrestle neck to neck with the HTC One M8 2014.
If you already have the Samsung Galaxy S5 and wish to avail the latest software update for your phone, you can do it in a number of ways. By keeping your phone’s firmware up-to-date, you can enjoy many advantages as with each new firmware version Samsung introduces fix to the bugs found in the previous version and new features as well. Sometimes, new updates bring OS upgrade and thus lots of new improvements and enhancements.
Samsung Galaxy S5 Models
Samsung offering separate model number for various part of the world. We don't know we going to have an international model just like Galaxy S4 or not. We heard an Octa core model may appear in Asia region. Anyway for now, all Galaxy S5 feature Qualcomm MSM8974AC Snapdragon 801 chipset, Quad-core 2.5 GHz Krait 400 and Adreno 330 GPU.
With the help of the below tutorial, you can update the firmware of any variant of the Galaxy S5, given the fact that the firmware for that model is available for download.
- Galaxy S5 Europe SM-G900F/SM-G900H
- China Galaxy S5 SM-G9009D
- Galaxy S5 Asia SM-G900I
- Galaxy S5 Korea SM-G900K/G900L/G900S
- AT&T Galaxy S5 SM-G900A
- Canadian Galaxy S5 SM-G900M (Bell, Rogers, Telus, Virgin & Others)
- T-Mobile USA Galaxy S5 SM-G900T
- Verizon Galaxy S5 SM-G900V
- Sprint Galaxy S5 SM-G900P
- U.S. Cellular Galaxy S5 SM-G900R4
As said already you can update your Galaxy S5 using various way. We will discuss all available update methods. You should always try OTA or Kies method first and when both method don’t work then only try manual flashing.
- How To Root Samsung Galaxy S5 SM-G900F–Easy Guide
: This tutorial is only for Samsung Galaxy S5. Don’t try this guide on any other Android device. Also, we are not responsible for any damage caused due to the instruction given in this page. Try this at your own risk. However, it is very unlikely that your device will be damaged if you follow all the instructions as it is which are mentioned in procedure.
Though official firmware restore all existing data but we recommend to back up your data first before proceeding to avoid any uncomfortable situation such as bootloop fix.
1. Backup your device data. You can follow our ultimate backup guide
2. Make sure your device have at least 60% battery power. You can install an app like Battery Notifier BT Free
on your Android device to check it easily.
3. You already have USB Driver Installed for Samsung Galaxy S5 in your PC. [Download USB Drivers
4. Make sure USB Debugging is enabled otherwise you won’t able to transfer file between PC and Samsung Galaxy S5. [Guide
How To Update Samsung Galaxy S5 via OTA
- First of all make sure you have stable internet connection (Wi-Fi or data network) on your device.
- Now, go to Android app drawer and then select Settings.
- Then locate About Device and tap on it.
- Next select Software update from About device screen.
- Then tap on Update option.
- You should see an update, press OK to download and install. (Remember, download using 3G or network data will incur additional charges to your phone bill!)
- Soon your device will reboot to complete the installation process.
If you see “The latest update have already been installed” massage while checking update then your device yet to receive an OTA update. Check back within few days or jump to next procedure.
How To Update Samsung Galaxy S5 via Kies
- Make sure you have stable internet connection on your computer.
- Now download and install Samsung Kies on your computer.
- Turn on your device (if it off) and then connect it to computer with USB cable.
- Run Samsung Kies and wait for it to detect your device.
- You should see a New Firmware Upgrade is available at Samsung Kies home screen.
- Press the Firmware Upgrade button to proceed.
- Follow on screen instruction and soon you will see your device running upgrade and reboot automatically. Once done, you can disconnect your device from computer.
How To Update Galaxy S5 via OTA ZIP
- Download update.zip file of latest firmware.
- Turn on your device (if it off) and then connect it to computer with USB cable.
- Now copy downloaded zip file to external or internal SD Card. You can now disconnect it from computer.
- Now boot into recovery. To do so, press and hold Volume Up, Home and Power button
together until Samsung logo flash twice and then leave the button. You
should see recovery menu soon. In recovery use Volume Keys to navigate
between option and Power button to select an option. Alternatively try
this: Recovery Mode without Key Combination.
- Select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard (or /sdcard1 for external storage). Now, locate the downloaded OTA Zip file that you copied earlier in Step 3 and select it by pressing Power button. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen. The OTA update process will begin.
- When installation is completed, go back to the main recovery menu and select reboot system now to reboot your Samsung Galaxy S5 and boot up into latest official firmware build.
Again! If you see “This is the latest firmware” in Samsung Kies, then your device yet to receive the latest update on Kies. Its good time to go for manual update instruction that located below.
Where to Download the Firmware for Galaxy S5?
Finally, here the spots from where you can download the latest
firmware for your Galaxy S5. Click the device model number below to
download the latest firmware for your phone.
*Hover your mouse on region code to know the country name.
[Please Note: After flashing this firmware you will lost any installed custom ROM including CM11
, Omni ROM
, Slim ROM
, Paranoid Android
How To Install Official Stock Firmware On Samsung Galaxy S5 With Odin
- Download Odin v3.09.
- Extract Firmware zip file that you downloaded earlier from above link, you will get a .tar.md5 file and some other files (optional).
- Extract Odin zip file and you will get Odin3 v3.09.exe along with few other files.
- Power off your Android device. Wait 5-6 seconds for vibration to confirm complete switch off.
- Now, put the Samsung Galaxy S5 in Download Mode by pressing and holding down the Home & Volume Down button together while pressing the Power button. A warning screen will come up; press Volume Up button to enter Download Mode.
- Now run Odin3 v3.09.exe (see Step 3) as an Administrator because Admin privileges is required to complete the process smoothly (only applicable Windows Vista and higher).
- Now connect your device to your PC using USB cable. An “Added!!” massage will appear in Odin’s message box. If you don’t get the same then you should try another USB port (try USB port located in back in your desktop PC). If that too don’t work then you should reinstall the driver. If you successfully see the “Added!!” message in Odin then you are ready to go in next step. You should also see COM port with a number in Yellow if you successfully added your device.
- Click the AP Button, and select that .tar.md5 file that you get in Step 2.
- In Odin window, make sure only Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time checkboxes are selected.
- Double check everything that we mentioned in Step 8 & Step 9 above. Now, once satisfied hit the START button to begin the flashing process.
- Once flashing completed, your Samsung Galaxy S5 will restart and soon you will see a PASS message with green background in the left-most box at the very top of the Odin. You can now unplug the USB cable to disconnect your device from computer.
Congrats! You just updated your Samsung Galaxy S5 to latest official firmware. Go to Settings > About device
to verify this firmware update.
Fix Boot Loop Issue On Samsung Galaxy S5
If Samsung Galaxy S5 stuck at booting animation for more than 10 minutes after Step 11 then follow below instructions:
- Go to recovery mode. To do so, press and hold the Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together.
- Now perform Wipe data/Factory Reset and Wipe Cache Partition task before selecting reboot system now function. In recovery mode use Volume keys to navigate between options and Power key to select the option.
Please note, performing wiping task will erase your device internal memory data and not external SD card data.