Google recently rolled out latest Android 4.4.2 KitKat firmware for many
Nexus devices. The official 4.4.2 KitKat is mostly AOSP release without much
customization. If you want to enjoy a customized Android 4.4.2 KitKat on Xperia
Z Ultra then flash or install AOKP (Android Open Kang Project) custom ROM. The
latest version of AOKP rolled out recently which is based on Android 4.4.2
KitKat and fully support Xperia Z Ultra. Xperia Z Ultra comes with an impressive
hardware spec which make it capable to run Android 4.4.2 KitKat smoothly.
Continue reading this guide to learn how to install Android 4.4.2 KitKat based
AOKP custom ROM on Xperia Z Ultra.
Some of the cool Android 4.4.2 KitKat features that you will enjoy is Screen
Recording, Tap to Pay (Google Wallet for everyone), NFC emulation for non nfc
devices, 14% less memory usage, cloud printing from Gallery, Google Home is the
new Launcher, Core System Processes Trimmed, apps are efficient and responsive
on all devices, the all new 'procstats tool details' memory use, Full-screen
Immersive mode, seamless change in resolution during media playback, Phone
dialer got local business detection, redesigned Quickoffice and many more.
Please note, this is very early build and you should expect some bugs in it.
All bugs and issues expected to be fixed as development progress towards a
This tutorial is only for Xperia Z Ultra. Don’t try this guide on any
other Android device. Also, we (True Android Team) are not responsible for any
damage caused due to the instruction given in this page. Try this at your own
risk. However, it is very unlikely that your device will be damaged if you
follow all the instructions as it is which are mentioned in procedure.
1. Backup your device data. You can follow our ultimate
2. Make sure your device have at least 60% battery power. You can install an
app like Battery
Notifier BT Free
on your Android device to check it easily.
3. You already have USB Driver Installed for Xperia Z Ultra in your PC. [Download
4. Make sure USB Debugging is enabled otherwise you won’t able to transfer
file between PC and Xperia Z Ultra. [Guide
5. Your device have latest CWM version 188.8.131.52 and up or TWRP 184.108.40.206 and up
If you done everything that we mentioned above then you are ready to follow
step-by-step guide on how to install Android 4.4.2 KitKat based AOKPROM on
Xperia Z Ultra.
(Download by clicking on it)
- AOKP Android 4.4.2
KitKat ROM For Xperia Z Ultra [Filename:
Apps [Filename: gapps-kk-20131119.zip]
How to Install Android 4.4.2 KitKat based AOKP ROM on Xperia Z Ultra
- Connect your device to PC using USB cable and then copy downloaded files to
the SD card of your device. Important: Don’t extract any files.
- Disconnect USB and then turn off your Xperia Z Ultra.
- Now, boot into recovery mode. To do so, reboot phone and press Volume Up
button few times while booting. [in recovery use volume buttons to scroll and
Power button to select]. Alternatively try this: Recovery
Mode without Key Combination.
- Perform a Nandroid backup of your existing ROM that you can restore later if
this new ROM not work or you want to go back into your previous ROM. To perform
a backup, select Backup and Restore, then on the next screen, select
Backup again. Go back to main recovery menu after backup is complete.
- Now, perform data wiping task. To do so, select wipe data/factory
reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm your action. Wait
few minutes till the data wipe is complete. Now come back to CWM recovery main
menu. Select wipe cache partition and after wiping process done, select
Wipe Dalvik Cache under advance option to perform Dalvik cache
- Select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from
sdcard. Now, locate the AOKP ROM Zip file that you copied earlier in
Step 1 and select it by pressing Power button. Confirm installation by
selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM
installation will begin.
- Once the ROM installation process end, repeat the step 6 but choose the
gapps-kk-20131119.zip file instead of ROM zip to install the Google apps
- When installation is completed, go back to the main recovery menu and select
reboot system now to reboot your Xperia Z Ultra and boot up into
rooted Android 4.4.2 KitKat ROM AOKP.
- Returning to Previous ROM: To go back to your previous ROM, boot into
recovery, select backup and restore then restore your previous ROM by
selecting it from the list.
Congrats! Android 4.4.2 KitKat firmware based custom ROM AOKP is now
installed and running on your Xperia Z Ultra. Note: Root is turned off by
default in CM derived ROMs, you must enable developer settings first (tap the
build number 8 times under about device), then enable root under Developer