With Nexus 5 launch, Google introduced Android 4.4 KitKat and since then every smartphone owner with device having a minimum of 512 MB memory finding a way to try it out. However, not everyone is lucky enough because not every device get developer support. Galaxy S Plus GT-I9001 user should not worry but should be happy to hear that developer DevConnection_Team (donate) introduced Android 4.4 KitKat based custom ROM CM11 for Galaxy S Plus GT-I9001. Don’t get too excited! This is an Alpha build hence many thing not working but many do. We listed what’s working so far in this ROM below. To learn how to flash this ROM, continue reading this guide to know how to install Android 4.4 KitKat based CM11 (CyanogenMod 11) custom ROM on Galaxy S Plus GT-I9001.
Some of the cool Android 4.4 KitKat features that you will enjoy is Screen Recording, Tap to Pay (Google Wallet for everyone), NFC emulation for non nfc devices, 14% less memory usage, cloud printing from Gallery, Google Home is the new Launcher, Core System Processes Trimmed, apps are efficient and responsive on all devices, the all new 'procstats tool details' memory use, Full-screen Immersive mode, seamless change in resolution during media playback, Phone dialer got local business detection, redesigned Quickoffice and many more.
As said already, this is a test build and you should expect some bugs in it. All bugs and issues expected to be fixed as development progress towards a better build.
Also Read: Android 4.3.1 Jelly Bean PAC-man ROM For Galaxy S Plus I9001
- Receiving and making calls
- Proximity sensor
- USB mass storage
- HW accelerated gui
- HW accelerated video
- USB/Wifi tethering
- USB OTG (Only FAT32 support)
- Phantom key presses filtering
- Some graphical glitches in Panorama preview
- Web browsing with stock brower not really good (install Chrome or other browser for better use)
- The first switching from 2G to 3G takes around 1 minute or more, then it's faster (set WCDMA preferred from *#*#4636#*#* hidden menu, Phone Info to have faster switch)
- Quick panel tiles are not fully functional (eg: 2G/3G tile is not working)
- Screenshot are not working (screens are grey)
- Multi-tasking Preview does not work
This tutorial is only for Galaxy S Plus GT-I9001. Don’t try this guide on any other Android device. Also, we are not responsible for any damage caused due to the instruction given in this page. Try this at your own risk. However, it is very unlikely that your device will be damaged if you follow all the instructions as it is which are mentioned in procedure.
1. Backup your device data. You can follow our ultimate backup guide.
2. Make sure your device have at least 60% battery power. You can install an app like Battery Notifier BT Free on your Android device to check it easily.
3. You already have USB Driver Installed for Galaxy S Plus GT-I9001 in your PC. [Download USB Drivers]
4. Make sure USB Debugging is enabled otherwise you won’t able to transfer file between PC and Galaxy S Plus GT-I9001. [Guide].
5. Your device have latest ClockworkMod Recovery Installed. [Guide]
If you done everything that we mentioned above then you are ready to follow step-by-step guide on how to install Android 4.4 KitKat based CM11 ROM on Galaxy S Plus GT-I9001.
File Required(Download by clicking on it)
- CM11 Android 4.4 KitKat ROM For Galaxy S Plus GT-I9001 [Filename: cm-11.0-20131124-dev_connection_team-alpha1-ariesve-signed.zip]
- Google Apps [Filename: pa_gapps-full-4.4-20131102-signed.zip]
How to Install Android 4.4 KitKat based CM11 ROM on Galaxy S Plus GT-I9001
- Connect your device to PC using USB cable and then copy downloaded files to the SD card of your device. Important: Don’t extract any files.
- Disconnect USB and then turn off your Galaxy S Plus GT-I9001.
- Now, boot into recovery mode. To do so, press and hold Volume Up, Home and Power button together until Samsung logo flash twice and then leave the button. You should see recovery menu soon. In recovery use Volume Keys to navigate between option and Power button to select an option. Alternatively try this: Recovery Mode without Key Combination.
- Perform a Nandroid backup of your existing ROM that you can restore later if this new ROM not work or you want to go back into your previous ROM. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore, then on the next screen, select Backup again. Go back to main recovery menu after backup is complete.
- Now, perform data wiping task. To do so, select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm your action. Wait few minutes till the data wipe is complete. Now come back to CWM recovery main menu. Select wipe cache partition and after wiping process done, select Wipe Dalvik Cache under advance option to perform Dalvik cache wiping.
- Select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Now, locate the CM11 Zip file that you copied earlier in Step 1 and select it by pressing Power button. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM installation will begin.
- Once the ROM installation process end, repeat the step 6 but choose the pa_gapps-full-4.4-20131102-signed.zip file instead of ROM zip to install the Google apps package.
- When installation is completed, go back to the main recovery menu and select reboot system now to reboot your Galaxy S Plus GT-I9001 and boot up into rooted Android 4.4 KitKat ROM CM11.
- Returning to Previous ROM: To go back to your previous ROM, boot into recovery, select backup and restore then restore your previous ROM by selecting it from the list.
Congrats! Android 4.4 KitKat firmware based custom ROM CM11 is now installed and running on your Galaxy S Plus GT-I9001. [via XDA]