The 2011 HTC smartphone HTC Rezound received Android 4.4 KitKat however not official but custom. With Nexus 5 launch, Google introduced Android 4.4 KitKat and since then every smartphone owner with device having a minimum of 512 MB memory finding a way to try it out. HTC Rezound (Verizon) user should be happy to know that developer IAmTheOneTheyCallNeo (donate) shared Android 4.4 KitKat based CM11 custom ROM for HTC Rezound. Don’t get too excited! This is an Alpha build hence many thing not working but many do. We listed what’s working so far in this ROM below. To learn how to flash this ROM, continue reading this guide to know how to install Android 4.4 KitKat based CM11 custom ROM on HTC Rezound.
Some of the cool Android 4.4 KitKat features that you will enjoy is Screen Recording, Tap to Pay (Google Wallet for everyone), NFC emulation for non nfc devices, 14% less memory usage, cloud printing from Gallery, Google Home is the new Launcher, Core System Processes Trimmed, apps are efficient and responsive on all devices, the all new 'procstats tool details' memory use, Full-screen Immersive mode, seamless change in resolution during media playback, Phone dialer got local business detection, redesigned Quickoffice and many more.
As said already, this is a test build and you should expect some bugs in it. All bugs and issues expected to be fixed as development progress towards a better build.
- Display (for the most part)
- Data (3g/4g LTE)
- Phone (making/receiving calls)
- Sms (sending/receiving)
- Mms (sending/receiving)
- WiFi Hot Spot (native WiFi tethering)
- Vibration (Haptic Feedback, notifications/calls)
- Audio (ui, ringtones, alarm, music)
- USB Mass Storage: Internal/External
- Hangouts (Gtalk replacement)
- Storage (internal/external)
- Google Sync: Contacts/Account
- Torch/Torch Toggle
- Youtube/streaming video
- Swipe Keyboard and Auto Correct
- Weather from network location
- Developer Options
- Performance Controls
- Voice Search
- Google Voice Typing
- Battery Stats
- Vibrator Intensity settings
- Security (Privacy guard/Blacklisting/Screen Lock)
- Wallpapers/Live Wallpapers
- Data Transfer Arrows
- Signal Bars and dBm signal strength
- Terminal Emulator
- Sound Recorder
- Voice Dialer
What's Not Working:
- Display Issue: Can't view screen in any browsers (cm is working on this)
- ScreenShot: Comes out blank or fuzzed out (possible fix in the works)
- Simultaneous Voice and Data: (Data while on a call) -there's a hack/patch to fix - implement soon
- Automatic Screen Rotation
- Netflix: (Crashes. Most likely related to the display issue)
- Gmail (partly): You can see the email subject and who it was sent from, but can not read due to the previously mentioned display issue.
- Included Google Keyboard: Force closes. Can be fixed by forcibly removing from system/app and then re-downloading from the play store.
- Bluetooth Tethering
- Bluetooth Calling
- USB Tethering
- Stereo Sound Headphones
- Stereo Sound Speaker
- Phone Encryption
- Stop Watch
- Count Down Timer
- Calendar Sync
- DSP Manager
- Exchange E-Mail
- Video Messaging a.k.a. video hangouts, skype, etc.
- Sms messaging via hangouts (new integrated sms ability)
This tutorial is only for HTC Rezound. Don’t try this guide on any other Android device. Also, we are not responsible for any damage caused due to the instruction given in this page. Try this at your own risk. However, it is very unlikely that your device will be damaged if you follow all the instructions as it is which are mentioned in procedure.
1. Backup your device data. You can follow our ultimate backup guide.
2. Make sure your device have at least 60% battery power. You can install an app like Battery Notifier BT Free on your Android device to check it easily.
3. You already have USB Driver Installed for HTC Rezound in your PC. [Download USB Drivers]
4. Make sure USB Debugging is enabled otherwise you won’t able to transfer file between PC and HTC Rezound. [Guide].
5. Your device have latest ClockworkMod Recovery Installed. [Guide]
If you done everything that we mentioned above then you are ready to follow step-by-step guide on how to install Android 4.4 KitKat based CM11 ROM on HTC Rezound.
File Required(Download by clicking on it)
- CM11 Android 4.4 KitKat ROM For HTC Rezound
- Google Apps [Filename: gapps-kk-20131031.zip]
How to Install Android 4.4 KitKat based CM11 ROM on HTC Rezound
- Connect your device to PC using USB cable and then copy downloaded files to the SD card of your device. Important: Don’t extract any files.
- Disconnect USB and then turn off your HTC Rezound.
- Now, Boot into recovery mode. To do so, press and hold Volume Down and Power button together to boot into HBOOT menu, from there select Recovery [use volume buttons to scroll and Power button to select]. Alternatively try this: Recovery Mode without Key Combination.
- Perform a Nandroid backup of your existing ROM that you can restore later if this new ROM not work or you want to go back into your previous ROM. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore, then on the next screen, select Backup again. Go back to main recovery menu after backup is complete.
- Now, perform data wiping task. To do so, select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm your action. Wait few minutes till the data wipe is complete. Now come back to CWM recovery main menu. Select wipe cache partition and after wiping process done, select Wipe Dalvik Cache under advance option to perform Dalvik cache wiping.
- Select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Now, locate the CM11 Zip file that you copied earlier in Step 1 and select it by pressing Power button. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM installation will begin.
- Once the ROM installation process end, repeat the step 6 but choose the gapps-kk-20131031.zip file instead of ROM zip to install the Google apps package.
- When installation is completed, go back to the main recovery menu and select reboot system now to reboot your HTC Rezound and boot up into rooted Android 4.4 KitKat ROM CM11.
- Returning to Previous ROM: To go back to your previous ROM, boot into recovery, select backup and restore then restore your previous ROM by selecting it from the list.
Congrats! Android 4.4 KitKat firmware based custom ROM CM11 is now installed and running on your HTC Rezound. [via XDA]