We know many of you like to go with stock build instead of any custom ROM. You most likely updated your Nexus 4 to latest Android 4.4 KitKat build KRT16S. If not then visit this: Install Nexus 4 to Android 4.4 KitKat KRT16S Factory Image - How To. Now, if you don’t willing to flash any custom ROM since all are very early build then you can use a highly tweaked stock based ROM Calkulin's Nexus 4. This pre-rooted, Android 4.4 KitKat ROM comes with various cool features including battery saver script, tweaked power menu option, translucent status bar in lockscreen and colored notification icons. There are lot more features that we listed later part of this article. To learn how to flash this ROM, continue reading this guide to know how to install Android 4.4 KitKat based Calkulin's Nexus 4 custom ROM on Nexus 4.
Some of the cool Android 4.4 KitKat features that you will enjoy is Screen Recording, Tap to Pay (Google Wallet for everyone), NFC emulation for non nfc devices, 14% less memory usage, cloud printing from Gallery, Google Home is the new Launcher, Core System Processes Trimmed, apps are efficient and responsive on all devices, the all new 'procstats tool details' memory use, Full-screen Immersive mode, seamless change in resolution during media playback, Phone dialer got local business detection, redesigned Quickoffice and many more.
This highly tweaked Calkulin's Nexus 4 custom ROM is developed by Calkulin (donate).
- Google kernel with init.d support
- Google Experience Launcher
- Working ART runtime
- and more
- Tweaked system (Very FAST)
- Raised contact sync resolution (requires resyncing of contacts if you don't factory reset before installing)
- Restart, Hot restart, Bootloader & Recovery power menu options
- Qualcomm optimized Dalvik & Bionic libraries from Moto X & Code Aurora forum
- Battery % on status bar
- Enabled menu button to be always displayed
- Translucent status bar in lockscreen
- Relaxed MMS compression ratio (in Hangouts & Messaging applications)
- Removed alarm notification icon
- Blocked annoying ads in programs
- APN settings for a lot of carriers
- Colored notification icons
- And other misc tweaks/mods
- System has also been de-odex'd, apk's have been optimized & aligned
This tutorial is only for Nexus 4. Don’t try this guide on any other Android device. Also, we are not responsible for any damage caused due to the instruction given in this page. Try this at your own risk. However, it is very unlikely that your device will be damaged if you follow all the instructions as it is which are mentioned in procedure.
1. Backup your device data. You can follow our ultimate backup guide.
2. Make sure your device have at least 60% battery power. You can install an app like Battery Notifier BT Free on your Android device to check it easily.
3. You already have USB Driver Installed for Nexus 4 in your PC. [Download USB Drivers]
4. Make sure USB Debugging is enabled otherwise you won’t able to transfer file between PC and Nexus 4. [Guide].
5. Your device have latest ClockworkMod Recovery Installed. [Guide]
If you done everything that we mentioned above then you are ready to follow step-by-step guide on how to install Android 4.4 KitKat based Calkulin's Nexus 4 ROM on Nexus 4.
File Required(Download by clicking on it)
- Calkulin's Nexus 4 Android 4.4 KitKat ROM For Nexus 4 [Filename: Calkulin’s_Nexus_4_ROM_v1.0.zip]
How to Install Android 4.4 KitKat based Calkulin's Nexus 4 ROM on Nexus 4
- Connect your device to PC using USB cable and then copy downloaded files to the SD card of your device. Important: Don’t extract any files.
- Disconnect USB and then turn off your Nexus 4.
- Now, boot into recovery mode. Press and hold Volume Down + Power key together and release the Power key once the Google logo appears, but keep holding the Volume Down key. You will be in Bootloader mode now. Press Volume Down two times so that Recovery option appears, and then press Power key to reboot into recovery mode. Use Volume keys to browse between options in recovery while Power key to select an option. Alternatively try this: Recovery Mode without Key Combination.
- Perform a Nandroid backup of your existing ROM that you can restore later if this new ROM not work or you want to go back into your previous ROM. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore, then on the next screen, select Backup again. Go back to main recovery menu after backup is complete.
- Now, perform data wiping task. To do so, select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm your action. Wait few minutes till the data wipe is complete. Now come back to CWM recovery main menu. Select wipe cache partition and after wiping process done, select Wipe Dalvik Cache under advance option to perform Dalvik cache wiping.
- Select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Now, locate the Calkulin’s_Nexus_4_ROM_v1.0.zip file that you copied earlier in Step 1 and select it by pressing Power button. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM installation will begin.
- When installation is completed, go back to the main recovery menu and select reboot system now to reboot your Nexus 4 and boot up into rooted Android 4.4 KitKat ROM Calkulin's Nexus 4.
- Returning to Previous ROM: To go back to your previous ROM, boot into recovery, select backup and restore then restore your previous ROM by selecting it from the list.
Congrats! Android 4.4 KitKat firmware based custom ROM Calkulin's Nexus 4 is now installed and running on your Nexus 4. [source]