It’s time to update your Xperia Arc to latest Android 4.4 KitKat. With Nexus 5 launch, Google introduced Android 4.4 KitKat and since then every smartphone owner with device having a minimum of 512 MB memory finding a way to try it out. However, not everyone is lucky enough because not every device get developer support. Thank fully! That not the case for Xperia Arc user. We now have an unofficial Android 4.4 KitKat based Beanstalk (legacy) custom ROM for Xperia Arc. To learn how to flash this ROM, continue reading this guide to know how to install Android 4.4 KitKat based BeanStalk custom ROM on Xperia Arc.
Some of the cool Android 4.4 KitKat features that you will enjoy is Screen Recording, Tap to Pay (Google Wallet for everyone), NFC emulation for non nfc devices, 14% less memory usage, cloud printing from Gallery, Google Home is the new Launcher, Core System Processes Trimmed, apps are efficient and responsive on all devices, the all new 'procstats tool details' memory use, Full-screen Immersive mode, seamless change in resolution during media playback, Phone dialer got local business detection, redesigned Quickoffice and many more.
BeanStalk - Legacy 4.4008 Features:
- CM based
- Insane amount of edits/tweaks/fixes to make this build absolutely fly
- Ultimate battery life through optimizations
- HALO 2.0
- Multi Window
- Active Display
- Lockscreen background options (Color fill, Custom image, Transparent)
- Customizable Lockscreen text color
- Lockscreen rotation
- Option to enable all widgets
- Minimize lockscreen challange
- Use widget carousel
- Slider Shortcuts
- Static Lockscreen shortcuts
- Lockscreen button actions
- LCD Density
- Scroll elasticity options
- Default App grip option
- Custom Carrier label
- Dual Pane options
- Customizable boot animation (off, default, set your own bootanimation)
- Custom original BeanStalk Wallpapers by skyliner33v
- Custom BeanStalk bootanimation by skyliner33v
- Status bar color and transparency
- Clock and date options which includes color, location, style
- Signal Styles which include color and text instead of icons, alternate GB signal layout, hide signal icons
- Breathing SMS option
- Battery styles - Includes specific colors and styles. Also includes battery bar
- Do not disturb option
- Show notification count
- Pie controls (need to have lockscreen background set to something other then default to work correctly (dont ask why) )
- Fully customizable navigation bar - Includes style, layout, color, nav rings, pretty much everything you can think of.
- Quick settings color settings, tiles per row, Quick pulldown, text color
- Notification shortcuts, behaviour, drawer style (customizable colors), toggle colors, longpress quicksettings icon to enable/disable toggles
- Keyboard and input method options which include disable full screen keyboard and auto rotate
- Kil app back button with customizable timeout values
- High end graphic effects option
- option to disable/enable vibrate on expand for notifications alerts
- Low battery warning customizable options
- Recents RAM bar fully customizable with color styles
- Clock widget for LockClock including extra options to fully customize every feature of the lockclock
- Build.prop MOD options to enable/disable tweaks as preferred
- Less frequent Notification sounds options
- CRT screen off/on options to specify how the animation shows
- Enable/disable wake up on charge option
- Superuser fully embedded into the build and accessed from settings menu
- CM Performance options and features
- About BeanStalk option with links to github source and facebook for beanstalk. Also links to my twitter and donate.
- option to use a fully themable MMS packages. You can access from mms - settings - theme settings
- Numerous other options hidding throughout the build
This tutorial is only for Xperia Arc. Don’t try this guide on any other Android device. Also, we are not responsible for any damage caused due to the instruction given in this page. Try this at your own risk. However, it is very unlikely that your device will be damaged if you follow all the instructions as it is which are mentioned in procedure.
1. Backup your device data. You can follow our ultimate backup guide.
2. Make sure your device have at least 60% battery power. You can install an app like Battery Notifier BT Free on your Android device to check it easily.
3. You already have USB Driver Installed for Xperia Arc in your PC. [Download USB Drivers]
4. Make sure USB Debugging is enabled otherwise you won’t able to transfer file between PC and Xperia Arc. [Guide].
5. Your device have latest ClockworkMod Recovery Installed. [Guide]
If you done everything that we mentioned above then you are ready to follow step-by-step guide on how to install Android 4.4 KitKat based BeanStalk ROM on Xperia Arc.
[Your device must be on any Jelly Bean ROM else you have to extract the ROM to get boot.img file first and then copy the boot.img file to Fastboot directory. Connect your device and flash boot.img using Fastboot (Download). Command: fastboot flash boot boot.img then fastboot reboot]
File Required(Download by clicking on it)
- BeanStalk Android 4.4 KitKat ROM For Xperia Arc [Filename: BeanStalk-4.4006-20131128-anzu.zip]
- Google Apps [Filename: pa_gapps-full-4.4-20131102-signed.zip]
How to Install Android 4.4 KitKat based BeanStalk ROM on Xperia Arc
- Connect your device to PC using USB cable and then copy downloaded files to the SD card of your device. Important: Don’t extract any files.
- Disconnect USB and then turn off your Xperia Arc.
- Boot into recovery mode. To do so, reboot phone and press Volume Down button few times while booting. [use volume buttons to scroll and Power button to select in recovery]. Alternatively try this: Recovery Mode without Key Combination.
- Perform a Nandroid backup of your existing ROM that you can restore later if this new ROM not work or you want to go back into your previous ROM. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore, then on the next screen, select Backup again. Go back to main recovery menu after backup is complete.
- Now, perform data wiping task. To do so, select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm your action. Wait few minutes till the data wipe is complete. Now come back to CWM recovery main menu. Select wipe cache partition and after wiping process done, select Wipe Dalvik Cache under advance option to perform Dalvik cache wiping.
- Select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Now, locate the BeanStalk Zip file that you copied earlier in Step 1 and select it by pressing Power button. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM installation will begin.
- Once the ROM installation process end, repeat the step 6 but choose the pa_gapps-full-4.4-20131102-signed.zip file instead of ROM zip to install the Google apps package.
- When installation is completed, go back to the main recovery menu and select reboot system now to reboot your Xperia Arc and boot up into rooted Android 4.4 KitKat ROM BeanStalk.
- Returning to Previous ROM: To go back to your previous ROM, boot into recovery, select backup and restore then restore your previous ROM by selecting it from the list.
Congrats! Android 4.4 KitKat firmware based custom ROM BeanStalk - Legacy 4.4008 is now installed and running on your Xperia Arc. [source]